Sunday, February 24, 2008

Fried Green Tomatoes

I was thinking the other day about fried green tomatoes. Not the movie, but thats good too. I actually like fried green tomatoes. I'm not the kind of person that would just eat a tomato raw, although when I was a little girl I would eat them like apples with salt and pepper. That sounds absurd to me now. Funny how that works out. I also really love anything tomato-based. Soup, tomato sauce, ketchup, salsa, I pretty much exist on all of these things, many of them paired with carbs and cheese. In fact, I crave tomato-based anything all the dang time. Anyway, just thought I would post a recipe for fried green tomatoes. You might like them, even they sound absurd to you. Just remember, they are fried. And great dipped in some kind of sauce too.
P.S. A good place to get them is My Big Fat Greek Restaurant, here in the valley. But also I went to this restaurant up in Salt Lake around Christmas, and I had them there and they were delish. The only thing is I can't totally remember the name of the place. I know for sure that its across the street from P.F. Changs downtown and it has Rock in the name. Very good food!

Fried Green Tomatoes
Recipe courtesy Tyler Florence
Show: Food 911
Episode: Indoor Barbecue

1 cup stone-ground cornmeal
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon garlic powder
Pinch cayenne
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 large unripe tomatoes, cut into 1/2-inch thick slices, ends removed
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
Hot pepper sauce, for serving
Lemon wedges, for serving
In a large bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, garlic powder, and cayenne together. Pour the buttermilk into a separate bowl and season with salt and pepper. Dip the tomatoes in the buttermilk and then dredge them in the cornmeal mixture, coating both sides well.

Place a large cast iron skillet over medium heat and coat with the oil. When the oil is hot, pan-fry the tomatoes (in batches if necessary) until golden brown and crispy on both sides, about 3 to 4 minutes on each side. Carefully remove the tomatoes and drain on paper towels. Serve with hot pepper sauce and lemon.





No comments: